Monday 31 December 2007

Welcome and Happy New Year

This blog takes over the living and politics part of the Music and Life - Everywhere! blog which will shortly be renamed 'Viola in Vilnius' to concentrate solely on the arts.

Here I will blog about all other aspects of living and working in countries where, for example, democracy is not so strong (does that make it almost all countries?), corruption is rife, but where also life is different from my 'normal' Northern European experiences. Some of my comments will be on media events, others on what I have seen, and yet others may relate to personal experiences (I am contemplating on whether to make a third, personal blog, just for 'personal stuff'...but setting up this one reminded me how much work is involved in faffing around with templates etc).

Oh yes, the title? Apart from not wanting trouble with the film company ('Good bye, Lenin') I thought this version would reflect well the way people look at life in most of Post-Sovietistan. Now you can buy anything. The shops are full to bursting, you can get cars of any make, you can buy the police, the judiciary, the elections.......

In the meantime Happy New Year, especially to those countries whose democracy is currently being tested to destruction, ie Georgia, Pakistan.......

1 comment:

varske said...

Hmm. I wondered whether it was a problem on my blog too, but then I don't do so much music and reviews as you. But I was thinking it was time to change the Greek colour scheme and banner to something reflecting where I was. A lot happens in two and a half years.