Thursday 13 November 2008

'Black assholes'

...is how the president of the Lithuanian Basketball Federation described two of his players.  He was not referring to the colour of their hair. With friends like this....

The chaps in question did not know about this for a while seeing as they do not speak Lithuanian. A complaint went to the General Prosecutor's office who let him off on a technicality.

Meanwhile 80% of people in a Vilnius University survey said they could not work or communicate with 'different' people (on the grounds of ethnicity, sexual preference, language or religion). I wonder who they asked and where the survey was carried out. I knew Lithuania was 'differentphobic' but that the rate is so high is appalling. No?

2 comments:

Anni said...

Hi
Sorry so quiet for so long - lots of family problems but wont bore you. Re this post, I currently have 7 students from Vilnius; 5 from the pedagogical uni, who are having a fine time in Sheffield clubs, and 2 from Vilnius Uni who are exploring every facet of life in England. And so it was that I took them up to Newcastle where my daughter was running the first Students for International Development Conference. They were absolutely fascinated (it was a good event even though I say so myself). They said that they had never had the opportunity to discuss, or think about, or read about Africa and that people in Lithuania just dont talk about international development. The upshot of this is that one has arranged herself an internship with an international street children organisation at LSE and the other is planning to travel in Africa...small seeds but you have to start somewhere. Hope your report on Georgian children's homes is done. We just got EU funding for another three years, adding in Batumi, Kiev and Uzhgorod (cant spell it) so should manage at least one more trip to Tbilisi.
Anni

varske said...

I suppose it's because the rest of the Lithuanians who have more normal attitudes to work and who they would or wouldn't work with, have gone elsewhere in Europe to find work. I can't imagine how the "home" ones would cope in London with these sorts of attitudes. No one would be even asking them whether they would like to work with different people or not. And how do they imagine other people would like to work with them?

There's nothing like an attitude saying "I wouldn't want to work with the sort of people I've never even met, but I know I wouldn't want to work with them anyway".