Sunday 6 July 2008

New vehicles for Vilnius police


Vilnius bobbies don't have it easy - it's really difficult getting round the old town to scenes of crime fast, what with the roads often blocked with traffic, or crowds of often elderly tourists slowly shlepping round the town.

Already they have those BMW covered motorbikes (though I have not seen one recently - but then they were often sitting opposite a flat in which I don't now live), push bikes, and horses. Now they have a new toy to play with - two Segways costing 20,000 LT each (6,000 Euros), travelling at a speed of up to 20 km per hour. (Photo from Lietuvos Rytas).

As a Vilnius taxpayer I wonder whether this is the best use of my resource...They could have bought 10 good push bikes for that, and got their force fit in passing! Certainly one of the lads on the photie could do with using a bike instead. A few days ago I saw one in action just outside my house - together with a bobby on a bike, more or less dawdling along - but then bobbies spend much of their time just being visible. I wonder if Segways are safer on icy pavements in winter than bikes?

No comments: