Thursday 17 July 2008

A victory for common sense

Here it says that now police in Lithuania no longer need to attend minor traffic accidents, unless a person is injured. Previously they had to attend all accidents, regardless how trivial. In fact, the time 6 years ago I was injured by someone opening his car door in the way of my bike, I should have continued lying in the narrow road with room for only a single line of traffic - and I was about 200 m into the road. Even under current rules. Instead I limped home and got myself into the Baltic American clinic under a doctor whose stitching skills matched those of a blind five-year-old. (Have not used that clinic since.)

But living above some busy crossroads I have often observed/heard car crashes, some quite spectacular ones, though usually without injuries, and watched the ensuing chaos as the police slowly make their way to the scene, taking up to an hour. Now the police call outs are dropped five-fold (can someone express that in per cent?).

Unfortunately the number of small damages claims has increased by 10% compared to the same period in the past. Could be fraud, but could also be little accidents where people reverse into their own houses/garden fences which they did not previously report? The insurance companies will soon develop new rules to deal with this.

No comments: