Friday 16 January 2009

Not so dead Gedimino Prospektas

Today, about minutes after I whinged about it, the street was not dead. Major demonstration about the economic crisis. Seemed a bit disorganised, though - but I think I have now worked out what happened.

When I went to buy an opera ticket, people were streaming down towards the parliament. I thought it was over. But some people were also walking towards the (former) municipality square where the rally was to be held. I suspect that the first lot was heading to join the demo at the start (the parliament). But still, there was not exactly a surging front row, and there seemed to be no banner or no-one getting people to do choral shouting.

Most of the demonstrators were over 40, it seemed. Not many young men or women in business suits. I suppose it's the slightly older group that is likely to be hit most by the recession.

No comments: