Sunday 27 January 2008

Definitely not a good buy!

Bit unfortunate that this restaurant in Vokieciu 24 is called 'Zemaiciu smukle', 'zemas' meaning 'low' in Lithuanian.

It used to be great for food and atmosphere. Never one great on access for the disabled, or speed of service, but the food and their home-brewed beer were great.

Alas, no longer. Friends and I, who always meet at Sue's Indian Raja, fancied a change (I fancied a change) and so we went to Zemaiciu where years ago we had had many pleasant evenings.

We had a small problem - my friends were a bit late, I did not have a watch and thought they were very late indeed, or in the wrong place, and so I had ordered. Which meant that my food arrived before their's - though they might have waited with my main course....

My starter was ok; kind of a herring thing with dinky little mushrooms and nice potatoes - but what can go wrong with boiled potatoes? Can't remember what starters my friends had. The main courses - disaster. One friend had something in a skillet, involving croquette potatoes (clearly frozen), some vegetables and some meat. I would have thought that it would have been cooked in a metal skillet. But no, the skillet was cold and so was the food - looked pretty, though. My other friend had a steak requested to be very well done; but he did not seem to mind the slightly pink bit in the middle. His plate was cold, and his food mildly warmer. My turkey (stew?) on a bed of potato and celery mash, apart from being cool, lacked the celery, and the turkey was very far from being a stew - not a drop of liquid near it. Instead there were lots of hard little cubes of turkey ham covered in something - you could have used them as pebbles.

They did a nice cappucino, though. Speed of service was better but not so thoughtful. The prices were high compared to Sue's, and even higher compared to the quality of their offerings. Shame!

No comments: