Saturday 16 February 2008

But it's traditional! That makes it all right, then...

Two articles about traditional practices in Lithuania which make my blood boil a little, and ask myself - have they learnt nothing?

At carnival (Uzgavenes) in Lithuania people dress up, like anywhere else, fancy dress, masks, that sort of thing. Except in Lithuania the masks are of Jews (or of Roma people [formerly described as 'gypsies]). See here for the full story (from whence the photo). The much diminished Jewish community does not like to complain, because they don't like conflict with the Lithuanians. The article goes on to quote ethnologist Inga Krisciuniene, of the Centre of Ethnic Activity, as explaining 'how she believed that in earlier times, Jews and Gypsies dressed alike. Revellers wore the same mask on Uzgavenes to depict them, so that the characters were distinguishable only by performers’ actions. When asked whether it could be seen as offensive to mock them, Ms Krisciuniene replied, “No one has ever complained.” The intent, she said, is humorous. “Besides,” she added, “it’s true that Gypsies steal.”'

I would sack her on the spot for that little parting shot.

Cafe Babel, Vilnius, in principle an internationalist sort of blogging affair, has some interesting articles, though often it goes a little into the twee and into the 'oh how lovely the ancient customs are'. Of course, many ancient customs are very interesting, and worthy of study. My neighbour, whose name I can never remember when I need it, is an ethnomusicologist, and she is certainly doing extremely important work in preserving a heritage which will soon die out.

Lithuania, having become Christian only recently (in the 1300s) has a faith group called the 'Romuva' who 'have swastikas on their necks and calm in their eyes', according to this story. (Foto of the faith chief from their website; I tried to only show the chain but the technology defeated me). Now, to be fair, the swastika on this guy's neck is actually a bit different from that used by the Nazis.

An article about the Romuva shows a further slightly different swastika, like this. So I am partly wondering whether the delightful Indre, who wrote this article, got it a bit wrong with the vocabulary....When I started a bit of a discussion with the cafe babel group they mentioned that it is an Indian symbol of fortune and happiness, too (remember that the Lithuanian language is linked to Sanskrit). I think we all know about the Indian symbol. I also remember that I saw a more Hitlerian swastika on a floor somewhere quite unexpected recently, possibly a holy building, but can't think where that was.

I'm surprised that the swastika, if this is really what it is, is not illegal in Lithuania, or maybe only the Hitlerian one is? A dark chap could come across a white Lithuanian of a dark evening, spot the swastika and make a very wide body swerve. The Lithuanian might say, 'don't worry, I am a very peaceful Romuva'. So the dark chap would come up to him, only to be bipped on the head or worse by the Lithuanian and his friends.

Relating to the delightful Indre one or two incidents in this direction of which I was part, she said that it was mainly the old people who had this problem. No, Indre, I don't think so. Yes, the old people may have prejudices, but they are usually too polite to say them into someone's face, and if they were offered a dark hand to shake, they would shake it - I have been in plenty of those situations. It's the young ones that worry me - young men are always more prone to violence in any case. But I have also heard such totally offensive questions, based on total ignorance, coming out of the mouths of highly educated young people that I think much needs to be learnt. I hope those young ones who come back from the UK have learnt something.

As for those Jew costumes - not sure they can be technically made illegal, though I am sure there is some incitement to racism legislation - what's the difference between these costumes, and anti-semitic graffiti (or breaking menoras, as happened in Siauliai, a notoriously antisemitic place, last year). But the church could give a strong lead, no? (Then we'll hear - but this mask has been used since my grandfather's day...).

In parts of Africa female circumcision is traditional. That does not make it right.

2 comments:

Anni said...

Hi - your Sheffield correspondent here again. Glad to hear you met my colleague in Tbilisi. Was fascinated with your piece on anti-semitism in Lithuania. Recently, teaching about Diaspora to social work students I remarked on Lithuania's pre-war Jewish population - 'glittering Jewish society' says the Rough Guide - and present very small population. Remembering we had Lithuanian exchange students in the class I asked them for confirmation. the reply came back 'They may be small in number but they certainly make their presence felt'. I was stunned and too shocked to respond instantly. But then told them of what a Lithuanian friend had said to me - 'when we lost our Jewish population we lost our intellectuals, our musicians and artists, our entrepreneurs...and now we need them'. So I guess there are good Lithuanians and the rest...what is intersting is how they get to be like that. One of my colleagues took the students aside and explained to them why such a statement was unacceptable in the UK but I wonder if it changed anything. The friend, on the other hand, had an academic training in Moscow where, remarkably, he had been encouraged to think independently.

As a sideline you may be interested to know that my daughter's quartet hope to give the first UK performance of some music by Tsintsadze (Miniatures)in London after Easter. You can catch one of them on Lisa Batiashvili's web page under 'inspirations'. I hope to be in Vilnius in early May - it would be good to meet if you are around

Anne

violainvilnius said...

Lisa Batiashvili's website - http://www.lisabatiashvili.com/ - and a very nice piece it sounds, too.

And yes, Anni, I hope to be in Vilnius in early May.