Tuesday 18 March 2008

Another Triumph for the Forces of Law and Order in Lithuania

This article states how the police in Vilnius charged two neo-nazis for marching in an unsanctioned march on 11 March (if you are still with me). You'll remember my blog of that day which I found my lunchtime nap rudely interrupted by chanting in the street below my house.

They charged 2. Impressive, no? I wonder how they chose them? When they passed my balcony there were about 200 of them, a police van behind them (which made me think it was sanctioned), and when I then skedaddled up the hill to take my photos of the then much diminished crowd, there must have been a good 15 or 20 policemen standing around. Maybe I should have chucked those eggs I had on me. But probably I would have been arrested.....

(The young lady in the picture looks like an innocent passer-by. Thought I ought to mention that). It's a shame I did not take pictures of them marching - would have been happy to help the police!

To misquote Heine 'Denk ich an Litauen in der Nacht, dann bin ich um den Schlaf gebracht' (though in this context the original 'Deutschland' in the place of 'Litauen' unfortunately can also remain, especially in Berlin).

No comments: