Tuesday 25 March 2008

Tbilisi-Moscow

After about 18 months of embargo, direct flights have resumed between Moscow and Tbilisi.

One part of my mind says, why would any self-respecting Georgian want to fly to Moscow? Terrible, cold, corrupt place.

Reality is, however, that there is much work in Moscow, and those Georgians who already live in Moscow will be glad not to have to fly via Riga or Istanbul any more.

Will this have an impact on Istanbul-Tbilisi flights?

En passant, here in Lithuania I've been looking for Georgian wines - flying the flag and all that. Our government, of a country with a population of less than 3.5 million, 'stepped in ' when Russia started to boycott Georgian wines. Haven't had much success - I've seen some bottles of Georgian wine of varieties I don't know at all. Where are the Saperavis and Tsinandalis, those nice drinkable Georgian wines? I remember getting some in Vilnius just over a year ago....

No comments: