Wednesday 4 June 2008

Budget airline

So, off I tootled to Tbilisi, on the
new direct flight from Vilnius, run by flylal (Lithuanian airways of
whom I may still be an owner, as a Lithuanian taxpayer).



Could do better, I think. It only takes
about 3 hours to fly to Tbilisi, much the same time as it would take
to fly from Vienna to Tbilisi. I don’t understand geography, really
I don’t…..Though I have to admit now (and I'm surprised) that a ticket from Vienna to Tbilisi in July is double the price of the Vilnius to Tbilisi flight. I guess I've seen what I don't pay for in Lithuanian, like....



....the service quality. In
Vilnius airport only a newsagent’s was open when I arrived at 9.30
pm; there are coffee machines, but the chocolate I asked for came
without chocolate. The lady at information had obviously been trained
by the Soviets and shouted at me, so no joy or compensation there.



The face of the passport control was
tripping her up, and she caused some of the Georgians endless delays.
Then we sat around and waited – near a bar, which was closed. And
waited.



Eventually we were let on the plane, a
Boeing 737 (very old model). In my row (7d-f), the seats would not
recline and my joy at being alone and able to stretch out was soon
overcome by the realisation that the arm rests moved sideways, but
not upwards. Missing bits of plastic had been replaced by sticky
tape. Naturally, there was no in-flight entertainment – it really
must be a very old plane. There was not even anything to read in the
seat pocket apart from the safety instruction card.






Then I was horrified that once again we
had to pay for food. Lithuanian has gone through phases – 7 years
ago there was a meal (not sure if it was ever hot), then we had to
pay, then we got a bun, now we have to pay again. For what is
available on the menu – but, in true Soviet style, not everything
is available. And frankly, the quality...

No comments: