Friday 20 June 2008

What to do about incompetence?

In the consulting world we usually work on contracts, some are short, some are middling, some a long (I like the long ones which go with intermittent work). We have lots of beneficiaries in different countries, and lots of clients who employ us. Some of these clients have a separate contract for every bit of work - I have four with one company for whom I worked for a total of 5 weeks. So for new clients it can be difficult to know what someone's quality is like. The EU requires a document for every bit of consultancy showing that the person actually worked there, or at least had the contract. Does not ask for a quality certificate - a copy of the contract is sufficient. I must have nearly 30 of them - what a paperchase! Imagine, say, 8 bids being submitted, each with three experts, and each has 30 documents = that's 720 documents the EU needs to check; and they do check them! (There are other consultancy secrets but I won't go into them).

So then it happens that people are sacked from projects or leave them under a cloud. I know at least 3, two of whom was sacked and another 'was' resigned. Two of these I know have been appointed to other projects as 'the expert' as part of the project bid. When I know that before the bid goes in, but the person is already firmly engaged, what can I do? Hope and pray?

1 comment:

varske said...

Hmm. Funny you should mention that issue. I was chatting with the Task Manager about the project he has just awarded a contract on. We got this really excellent expert, he said. Do you know him? It was the guy I had just kicked off my project for being completely useless. CV in tact with no refused references. Still he won't always get away with it.