Tuesday 17 June 2008

Safety in Tbilisi

Personally I think Tbilisi is perfectly safe for a person to walk around alone. I've been on the underground, in taxis, in buses, never a problem. I'm kind of conscious of safety, and if I feel that someone is following me, I just stop and let them pass. (Maybe one day that will backfire....).

On the weekend I was warned about walking around alone, by a young man and his mother. The lad had walked up to the TV tower, as described here, and was mugged on the way, being caught from behind with something around his neck. He describes himself proudly as of 'Army fitness' (after I had said that 'oh, but I'm a tough strong person and I can defend myself'...). Hmmmm. But then young men are more often the victim of crime than older persons. Now these people will be putting this story about. Did not share with them the many times I go running alone in obscure corners of Tbilisi!

Funny then, that the only time I was, a little bit, attacked, as described here, it was one of the rare occasions when I was not walking around alone, but distracted by having someone in my company.

Foreigners, especially Murricans, Tbilisi is perfectly safe. Though if you flash what you have then you might be more vulnerable, as you would be anywhere....

No comments: